Thursday 2 July 2015

2 new conditions and whats been going on?

The Current situation.

It’s been a while since my last post. Things haven’t been going well! I wanted to wait until I knew more before putting it out there. 
It’s going to be quite a long one so keep with me if you have the time.…

In April I lost my job. 
It by far made my current condition a lot worse. 
As I have bills to pay and suddenly had no form of income. I worked and batted with my health for a whole year with the crohns and my other problems. 
But in the end I lost my job over a nasty bout of tonsillitis. It wasn’t my choice, I would probably still be pushing on with working. But after months and months of illness, the recurring tonsillitis was clearly the final straw. 
Understanding when you have a business to run. I’m not exactly the perfect employee due to my health! But that is out of my control. I work very hard when I’m well enough and will go above and beyond. 
The following weeks led to what I would class as a flare but my blood work says otherwise. This seems to happen often, in that my blood work is spot on but my symptoms are terrible!

So, here I am, unemployed and in a current state of health which leaves me completely unemployable. My task is now to get myself well enough to become employable once again.

My medication was withheld due to all the infections I was getting as it effected my immune system too greatly. This means I now haven’t had any Crohn’s medication for 6 months. Luckily the medicine is designed to last that amount of time but the dosage will gradually wear off and symptoms creep back in. I’m now just a few weeks of finally getting another dose. Thank goodness.

I have a diary which I fill in for the hospital every day. It asks how many times I’ve been to the toilet, abdominal pain rating, generally wellness rating, temperature and any medication taken that day.
Its gone from being a once or twice a day to the loo with minimal pain and feeling good with no additional medicine to going to the loo 5-15 times a day…. Yes up to 15 times… It’s exhausting. And having to take additional medicine more and more.

I’ve been getting ill in the night again. Usually around 3am I wake up with the immense urgency and have to literally leg it to the loo. I will then yo-yo to and from the bathroom up to 4 times in an hour feeling sick, shaking, dizzy and weak. Before taking anti-sickness and pain medication and waiting for them to send me off to sleep again. This can happen 4 nights in a row at times. But every so often I will go a week without a night episode but I can absolutely guarantee it will happen again.

My quality of sleep is poor to say the least. It’s really bad but I rely on my migraine medication, Amitriptyline to get me to sleep. Without it I will be lying awake literally all night. I will then sleep for up to 14hours and wake up with a medication ‘hangover’.

Upon waking I am achy all over, hurting from head to toe. I have to then go and sit down on the sofa for a good hour before I have ‘loosened’ up enough to be able to function semi-normally.
Some days the pain doesn’t ease and I feel like I’ve been bulldozed all day long.
To the point I need help with getting showered and dressed. And also help getting up the stairs and getting to bed. There are times I can’t hold a kettle due to the pain and can’t even brush my own hair. And days when I’m simply not safe enough to drive. 

For a 24 year old woman, having to rely on someone to help you do normal things knocks you big time. I can’t even describe what the pain feels like. It has me rolling around in tears at times because there’s no let up. My boyfriend has even had to come home from a nightshift for 15mintues to help get me to bed. Thank goodness I have him. Id be so lost without him. 

And believe me you don’t know fatigue until you have to rest before AND after taking a shower.
Going to get a shower is a normal daily task. But for me, this daily chore is draining. Washing myself, drying myself, drying my hair, styling my hair, make up and then getting dressed. I sit on the bed after a shower every day mustering up the energy and strength to get ready. God help me if I have an appointment or a time to get ready by.

I don’t understand how I managed to work full time and keep on top of all the house work and other daily tasks and do it for so long. When I wake up these days I have to weigh up important tasks and less important and spread it over a few days. When I hoover, I do upstairs one day and downstairs the next. Both on one day is out of the question.

If your still reading this, and you’re not someone with a chronic illness. Please do not take for granted being able to get up at 7am and still be able to function and not be in agony by 10pm. And going on holiday and going for days out every day…. You don’t know how lucky you are.

Following all of this and more which I haven’t gone into, I decided enough was enough. My crohns is always under treatment but the rest of me is struggling and has been for years! I went to the doctor and she listened and referred me to a Rheumatologist.

I have now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia which is a chronic wide spread pain condition. It is diagnosed by pain points on your body. 18 pain points. 11 or more is a firm diagnosis…. I scored 18 out of 18. Head to toe wide spread pain in the muscles, tendons and ligaments.

Explains a lot….

I was also diagnosed as Hypermobile. I scored 5 out of 9 on the Beighton scale. Which is how it is measured. I don’t have it severely but enough to cause me daily symptoms and pain. Also linked to the Fibromyalgia.
With increased flexibility you are also more susceptible to dislocation. As the joints aren’t supported as well as in a normal healthy person.
I was told I have dislocated my left knee in the past. I had no idea. But with this condition it isn’t like a normal dislocation where your joint is ripped out of place. It just kind of pops out as it isn’t held in properly.
I know someone with it who can pop their hip out on command... although it is hugely entertaining and makes us laugh at how freakishly bendy we are, it also isn't good!

I was told to take codeine for pain… But any one with crohn’s knows that this is BAD. So I'm stuck in a vicious circle. I’m in pain, so I take codeine… and then my crohn’s flares because of it.

I am still learning about my 2 new conditions. But I only have them, because I have crohns.


I literally can’t win.

1 comment:

  1. It appears that your health problems are cause by lack of vitamin d due to lack of exposure to sunlight. Vitamin d is vital for proper functioning of your immune system as your killer T cells need vitamin d (which is natural hormone produced by your body from exposure to uv) to function properly and defend you from foreign bodies in your blood.

    I suggest that you have your vitamin d levels immediately tested (don't be surprised if is are very low) and start immediately on vitamin d supplements. You may need vitamin d injections to start of with.

    Please see my Facebook page below
    https://m.facebook.com/Vitamin-D-the-cause-and-cure-for-my-Crohns-221774421191028/?refid=46&tsid=0.2613064528857013&source=typeahead

    ReplyDelete